Sunday, September 21, 2008

The 100 Million Dollar Question

I was eating lunch with a couple of guys from work. Midway through my Cobb salad one guy says to the other, “Let’s ask Tom.” These are guys are stereo-typical so I’m thinking, “Here it comes, Ginger or Mary Ann, fake ones or real ones, tan lines or not.”

“Tom, if you won 100 million dollars in the lottery, would you stay with your wife?”
“Yes.”
“Dude, you didn’t even think about it.”
“I didn’t have to.”
“Did you have to think about it?”
“If she bought the ticket, heck yeah I’d stay with her!”
“Wow, you would have to think about it?”
“I have asked about 10 guys the same question and you are the only guy who answered yes without hesitation, and only one other guy answered yes.”
“Does that make me weird?”
“Absolutely.”
“Blow me.”


It was really disappointing to hear that from one of my friends; not that I was weird, but that he would hesitate when asked that question. I’m not even sure he answered yes.

I really can’t imagine what my life would be like with out my wife in it. I guess I was lucky to find the right person at such a young age. I remember seeing her for the first time when she was sixteen; she looked like she was 20. I thought to myself, “I’m going to marry a girl just like her.” I married her 3 years later and today is our 23rd anniversary. I think I’ll give her a card with a lottery ticket in it and hope that she won’t have any tough decisions to make.

9 comments:

Chris said...

Happy Anniversary!

Aynde said...

Happy Anniversary!!

Dave said...

Happy Anniversary!

Like you, I can’t believe that anyone would hesitate in answering that question. Maybe it’s not such a bad thing though. At least they hesitated and didn’t immediately reply with a ‘No’. Perhaps they don’t realise how lucky they are.

Here’s hoping your numbers come up.

Have a great day.
Dave

Unknown said...

Hey happy anniversary. It's nice to see that money isn't the be and end all for everyone!

mumof3boyz said...

Happy Anniversary!

It is sad to think that, that many men are so unhappy. Wonder what the answers would be if the wives were asked instead?

Guinevere said...

Happy Anniversary!!! It IS sad that so many hesitate when asked that question. I couldn't imagine living without M!

White Hot Magik said...

What a sweet post. I like how you included blow me in it somewhere to kept it needing PPE. Happy anniversary!

Hyperher said...

Love the old school photo. We will be celebrating our 3rd anniversary next week. It's great to be in a marriage that's solid. Happy 23 years!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to be late to this party but HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!! That's so awesome, I hope to be just like you someday!