Sunday, September 28, 2008

If They Can Get Batman Right...

I made a cd for my daughter a couple of months ago.

While I was looking for songs, I thought it would be fun to look them up on YouTube. I wanted to see what, or if any videos had been made for these great songs.

What I found was pathetic. Now that I think about it, most of the early MTV videos are dismal too.

I think the world of music videos should do like the world of movies, remakes! There are so many “older” songs that tell wonderful stories; they would make super music videos. Or maybe a music video was made and it just didn’t do the song justice, remake it.

One of the music video stations that still play music could easily make a weekly show out of this idea. Maybe they already have and I’m just out of touch, its not like I’ve watched MTV or VH1 or whatever in the last decade.

Here are four songs I found on YouTube.

A Boy Named Sue- Johnny Cash
Long Tall Glasses- Leo Sayer
Space Oddity- David Bowie
I Don’t Like Mondays- The Boomtown Rats

I really like all four songs but don’t like the video on them. These could be great music videos if done right.


Anybody else have an old favorite (music video) they would like to see made or remade?

14 comments:

mumof3boyz said...

Either VH1 or MTV has a Back to the 80's or All about the 80's or something like that every once in a while. I watched it once and couldn't believe the clothing and hair styles those people had. You know we never dressed like that. Ever. Right. We were much cooler. LOL

Malathionman said...

Whatever you say Stacy, whatever you say. :)

Unknown said...

Ooo, what a great idea.
My video remakes would be:

INXS - Need You Tonight
Joe Jackson - Steppin' Out
Billy Joel - Scenes from an Italian Restaurant
Supertramp - Breakfast in America
Kenny Rogers - Coward of the County (What? What?)

White Hot Magik said...

I was a deprived child who did not get to watch MTV much. If they were good then pop up video would be no fun. Not that I have seen that in forever either, but you know what I mean.

Malathionman said...

Tara- I've seen Billy Joel and INXS. Billy was good but INXS was just OK. I think Kenny made Coward of the County into a TV movie in the states.

Nora- Thats right, your TV had those rabbit ears and your bathroom was that shed with the half moon on the door. :)

Anonymous said...

You're an original, man! I've never heard the idea for remakes of videos. It is a perfect idea.

Dave said...

In my day, we didn’t have TV. We had a cardboardbox in the corner and every day us kids would take turns to put on a show. In fact we were so poor we didn’t even have a cardboard box, we had to pretend we had one. In fact…. (and so it goes on and gets even less funny. Hahahahaha.

I can’t remember a single video – Actually, I’m lying again, I remember some of Meat Loaf’s. He did good music and good videos.

Tara: “Tara and Kenny sitting in a tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G.”

Malathionman said...

Dave- Meat Loaf. Like that guy would have a chance with any of those girls in his videos!

WD- (When you turn 40 can I call you WD40?) Original. I bet I'm the only guy who comments on your blog while wearing a halloween costume. No remake ideas?

Hyperher said...

"Come on Eileen" needs some help. My first husband went to school with the lead singer from Dexy and the Midnight Runner's. They went to a Catholic school in NW London. It's possibly the worst video with overalls in the history of music videos.

Incidenatlly, I bever saw MTV until I visited my city cousins in MA. WE had a ghetto antenna. 4 channels baby, plus PBS!

Malathionman said...

Sarah- I bet you own a pair of overalls. If not maybe you should knit some.

Aynde said...

Ya know what? I cant think of one......hmmmm. All I can think of are the ones I really love. Like New Order's True Faith video. Totally weird but I loved it.

Elizabeth said...

Anything by the Culture Club should be remade. It really should.

Hyperher said...

Why yes, but not anymore. I recall coming home from work about 4 years ago, donning my overalls and white, wife beater, drinking light beer and bemoaning my life. We did it old school in the country, with coveralls!

"Girls just wanna have fun" would be great updated.

Malathionman said...

Aynde- That IS a strange video. I think that may say something about you!

Elizabeth- You are a freak.

Sarah- I think I hear banjo music.